Saturday, September 01, 2007

family from long ago

my dad has been doing a whole lot of searching for our ancestors. our county's library system offers this Heritage thing online where anyone with a library card in our county can look at different censuses and all kinds of things. last night my dad was looking at some cemetery records. see, his grandmother, we all call her Nana, died about on and a half years ago. she's buried in one of the oldest cemeteries around this area. apparently some of her other family members are buried there too. so Dad wanted to find all those grave stones and take pictures of them to show his Aunt Joan, Nana's daughter. so my dad and my sister were going to go to the cemetery, and i decided that i may as well go along. i'm glad i did. first we showed Anna Nana's grave, because i was the only one of us three kids who went to the funeral. so we showed her that, and then we started our search. Dad figured out from a website where section A was. so we drove near that, and started looking. i spotted all the ones that we wanted to find. there were four in all, and it was very interesting finding them. we found out that my great-great-great grandfather may have fought in the Civil War on the Union side. but i think my dad wants to find more information on that.

so all in all it was a very informational morning. on the way there and back Dad was telling us stories about Nana when she was growing up. she used to walk from one town to the other for high school. i've always thought that my parents live in a "foreign town" compared to where they grew up. but it turns out that some of my ancestors lived in or around this town. that's nice to know. there are people in this town who have so many generations who have lived here. and i haven't been one of those people. but at least there were a few people related to me who've lived here.

1 comment:

Liz's Random Thoughts said...

wow that sounds so cool! I like going to our communitys cemetary and seeing of my dads familys graves and everything:) Its so cool learning about your familys history and stuff.:)