Tuesday, October 09, 2007

so.....

...i was invited to this youth group. it's tomorrow night. and it's at a really big church. let's just say that my church is very small. and very old. those aren't bad things. it's just different, that's all. there are so many churches around this area. and many of them are what we like to call, "Mega-churches". these are churches that have about 1000 or more people in their congregation. but this person invited me, and i'm not really sure why. but Liz says i should go because then i can put it in my book. btw Liz, i started a list of some stories to put in my book. i'm going to need your help later to makes sure i list everything. anyways, back to my story. Liz also said i should go b/c then i can tell her all about it on thursday! ;-) so i'm going. but not just for those reasons.

but when i recieved this verbal invitation last week, i was warned. yes, that's right, warned. the person who invited me told me that worship at "big churches"(i believe was his terminology) is a bit different than at small churches. frankly, i could decide whether i should be offended, or whether i should laugh. i took option three. that option was to calmly explain that i had been to some events of some larger churches, so i know how they worship. and i'm okay with that. maybe he thought that in my small church i had been sheltered from whatever in the big churches. and i guess i could understand how he might think that. but i don't concider myself sheltered.

it's just interesting to hear what people think about small churches. i don't think it's really a big deal how big or small a church is. lately i've realized that i'm more for small things. churches, towns, businesses, schools, cars. i'm rather short myself. i'm just trying to figure out the big picture with all these small interests, and small actions.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I myself go to a small church of about 100 people. and theres nothing wrong with that. I used to go to a very large church of over 1000 people but I must say that being at the smaller church has been better for my Christian growth. I dont know, its just that people at the larger seem to like to hide in "cubby holes." they seem to stick to one group of people and one group only. At least thats how it was at my large church. But then the first day I went to the small one a family invited me to lunch. at first I thought it was weird cuz i wasnt used to it.

No one special.

Anonymous said...

I heard from a mysterious informer in Upland that they're youth group soundpeople aren't very good.

someone...

Abby said...

to N.O.S.-
i always thought that i'd get lost in the crowd at a large church. but a friend of mine has told me that isn't the case. i guess it just depends on the church. apparently with her church it's not the case, but she said she could understand why i felt that way.

Tracey said...

It's true that some big churches seem to foster the "cubby hole" approach, and it's also true that it depends on the church. This is just a theory, but maybe it depends on how outreach oriented the church is. If a church is focused more on reaching out than on being self-contained, the people may be less likely to stay in their little groups. I've been in a big church of each type, and you can really tell a difference.

Someone: Can't speak for the youth's sound people, but (according to my sound tech friends who have to use the Youth Center equipment now and then) what they have to work with is horrible: bad acoustics and very outdated boards & stuff (sorry, don't know the right terminology). So maybe the sound people are working under a handicap.

Liz's Random Thoughts said...

My church is smaller than anyones above church. On a VERY good day we get MAYBE 50 people..last Sunday I think tops 20? Yeah you know the old cheers song? 'you wanna be where everybody knows your name..' minus the crude language, swearing, bar, you got my church lol:) And oh abby i have lots to tell you about today! I am like SO excited right now...I have to go talk to someone lol:D
~Liz

Tracey said...

So how did it go, Abby? I saw the cake and sweets up there. Did they just have a big party, or was there a service too?