Monday, July 23, 2007

parallel parking maddness

Today i'm supposed to be focusing on Parallel parking. my granddad is coming up from Maryland to help me parallel park with my parent's mini-van, and he let me barrow a toy car of his to practice on the dining room table. yesterday i was at my Grandparent's house to celebrate my mom's birthday. my Granddad's brother was up from Alabama, but had to be taken back to the airport to fly back yesterday afternoon. so i went with Granddad to drop him off. on the way there, Granddad suddenly stopped and said "Watch this", and he just slipped the Nissan Versa into a random parking space. i know how to parallel park. in fact, last Easter, he was the one who taught me the fine art of parallel parking. but now is the time when it counts. tomorrow is when i get to do this skill to the very best of my ability.

also when we were on the way to the airport, Uncle Bill told me that even after i get my license i should still parallel park as often as i can, just so i don't lose that ability. He told me that at the college where he works, there are so many college students that don't know how to parallel park. so basically it seems that people are learning this skill for the test, and then they never use it. now, thankfully, i guess, i live in an area of town where we don't have a driveway, and even if we wanted to park in back of the garage, we'd have to parallel park. most of the time we can get away with just pulling in a spot, but there are times when my dad had to parallel park when he brought me home from work at night. and there are other parts of town where the people who live there are very skilled at getting their car in to the tightest of spaces.

so i know that lots of people from my church and family are going to be praying for me as i go to take this test tomorrow. i'll be praying for me too. it'll be my second time taking the test. the good parts that i see about this is that i know completely what to expect, and hopefully i'll be more calm than i was the last time.

now if you'll excuse me, i need to go parallel park on the dining room table.

No comments: