Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Now for some Actual News...

My first intended purpose was to update you on how the home life is going. Well, it's quite swell I suppose. The DSL still isn't working, but I'm getting used to it. I think we came to the conclusion that our modem is dying? Since Mom and Dad are away, we can't really do anything about it other than deal with dial up. Since we have access to the church's laptop, we can take that to the Library or the church if needed. Plus, I can always check my email here at school, which is what I'm doing now. I guess it proves we don't really need the internet. I mean, obviously it has become necessary in the past ten years, but just because it's necessary doesn't mean we should be on it every second of our lives. What if we only checked our email once or twice a day? What if we only checked every other day?

I hear your complaints. You're saying, "But my friends need be to be online so I can talk to them! I need to do school work! I have to do research!"

Okay, so maybe you do have research waiting. But how many times do you "research" and have facebook up in another window to check on it? I do it too, but that doesn't make it right. Sometimes I amaze myself with how fast I can get something done if I really put my mind to it. Sometimes while I'm working on an essay, and have a window up with my email or facebook, I also bring up a tab with the website www.something.com. try going there sometime, and tell me what you see. It's nice because then I don't see the words "Facebook," or "Gmail," staring at me from the task bar, so I don't click it as much.

And tell me, what would happen if we decided that with the time we won't spend on the internet, we did something else productive. We could read our Bible more (I am two books behind in my Bible in a Year goal), or clean our room! Better yet, we could actually put some effort into our homework. In some ways it's good thing to not be concerned with getting online. In fact, I'm very glad that I won't have to pay for internet for a long time. That means no worrying when something goes wrong!

Well, we have come to the end of another study hall. I hope you enjoyed my commentary.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hear, Hear, Abby! Great conclusions you arrived at! love, Mom (P.S. . . . Thanks for sending out a little something for my chat letter.)