Sunday, November 04, 2007

Parallel parking

Somehow i managed to get the words Parallel Parking into a song yesterday. i though it was pretty cool. i guess it's just been on my mind lately. see, usually whenever i work, i come home really late. so late, in fact, that i have to either parallel park on the street, or park out back in front of the garage. and i have to parallel park to do that. i've become quite skilled at parking back there. okay, so there's one scratch on the car from one incident. but i'm a lot more careful now.

so last night i came home, and at first parked two houses down the street. but then i decided i'd just park it in back. so i went halfway around the block, parked in the middle of the alley with my fourways on so i could move something in the way, and then got down to parallel parking. whenever i park in front of the garage, we don't measure how far away i am from the "curb", or rather, the garage door. we measure how much gravel is between the driver's side and alley. apparently i'm able to get the car in closer to the garage than my mom can. this is according to my dad. last night i got really close. almost too close. but somehow my brother was still able to get in the passenger side door when i drove my siblings to church this morning. He said it's no problem for him. i guess he's used to it because when he was in middle school my dad used to park that close, and then my brother would have to get in for the ride to school.

and then i got to park the car again this afternoon when we got home from church. see, tomorrow and tuesday we can't park out front because they're trimming the trees for the electrical lines. and since we weren't planning on going anywhere this afternon, my parents parked the van on the side street, and i parked the car near the garage. This time was a little different though. my brother and sister decided to all ride home with me, because we listened to Dizmas on the way to and from church. so they got out of the car, just in case i parked them in. and then they moved out of the way while i backed up.

being the wonderful younger siblings, they decided to tell me exactly how much room i had. they stood there in the middle of the alley towards the back of the car holding out their arms the same length of space that i had to back up. then when i put the car in first gear(oh yeah, did i mention this was stick shift?) they moved to the front and did the same thing. now i would like to know why i don't have them whenever i come home from work at night? well, for one thing they'd be very tired, and i probably wouldn't be able to see them in the dark. but hey, today they helped me not back into anything.

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Oops! Speaking of the Dizmas ... I forgot to tell you and your brother that they were going to be at CLA for a short concert tonight. Which is why I'm not there right at this moment. :) I'll try to do better at getting the word to you next time.

Glad you're getting the parallel parking down pat. Want to try my parking space sometime? :)

Abby said...

i think i'll hold off on trying to get into your parking space. maybe a few years from now. actually, i'll just wait until they remove that horse decoration from the pole. but maybe that'll be a few years from now...